Monday, February 15, 2016

Module A from 2009 Use as Listening, or a Role Play - English lesson

I use this as either a listening, or as a role play, with questions at the end to check comprehension


Module A

Good morning listeners. This is Mary Silver in our program "Stay Healthy". Today we

will talk about a new idea that is becoming popular all over the country: Building

exercise rooms for people at their place of work. Here in the studio is Mr. Jason King,

president of the Crown Computer Company.

Good morning Mr. King. 

Good morning.

I heard that you have opened an exercise room in your company’s building. Why 

did you decide to do that?

Well, many of my workers complained that they work long hours and don’t have time to

do any kind of sports or exercise. They were worried about their health.

And what did you think?

I agreed with them. I decided to do something that will keep them happy and healthy.

Do you know about other companies that have exercise rooms?  

Yes. In fact I visited exercise rooms in a few companies. I talked to the company

managers and to the workers. They all said the exercise rooms were very successful. That

is when I decided it was also a very good idea for my company.

Did you discuss it with your workers?  

Yes, of course. They all liked the idea.  We built a big exercise room and opened it a year

ago. We have exercise machines and exercise classes with a special teacher.  People can

also take a shower and change their clothes after they exercise.

When is the exercise room open? 

It is open from 6:00 in the morning till 12:00 at night. People can come during the day or

they can come before or after work.

Can the workers come whenever they want?

Well, we tried to let people choose when they want to come. However, sometimes too

many people wanted to come at the same time. So not all of them got exactly what they

wanted.



It probably cost you a lot of money to build.  

Yes, it was very expensive but I am happy I did it. My workers are very pleased. They

say they feel better and I see they also work better. I am thinking about opening another

exercise room for the workers’ families.

What a great idea! I’m sure your workers will be very happy. 

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I hope more companies will learn from 

your experience.  That is all for today.  Goodbye!


Questions
What was the worker's problem?
How did the business owner feel about that?
How long ago did the exercise room open?
What are the opening hours?
What was the cost of the exercise room?
What facilities are there?
What is his next project?


Lesson Plan by Rachael Alice - English teacher 

No comments:

Common vocabulary words to study for this week's English test!

  Words to learn today!  Many students have English tests coming up this week, so here is a list of common words that might come up on your ...