Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Past Tense Worksheets

These worksheets can be very useful when learning how to use the past tense in English.  Feel free to print them out and make sure to do them.  If you have any questions, please write in the comments section of this blog!

בס"ד  
Name_________________________

The verb Have in the Past Simple

Fill in the Chart   Use all three forms.     

Many verbs, such as "have," take irregular forms in the Simple Past. Notice that you only use the irregular verbs in statements. In negative forms and questions, "did" indicates Simple Past.
Positive
Negative
Question
  • I had.
  • You had.
  • We had.
  • They had.
  • He had.
  • She had.
  • It had.
  • I did not have.
  • You did not have.
  • We did not have.
  • They did not have.
  • He did not have.
  • She did not have.
  • It did not have.
  • Did I have?
  • Did you have?
  • Did we have?
  • Did they have?
  • Did he have?
  • Did she have?
  • Did it have?
I had breakfast today
I did not have breakfast yesterday
Did you have breakfast today?




















Word bank:  lunch, dinner, to play basketball, to win, to lose, to jump, to see, to hear music, to do my homework   בס"ד  

Name___________________________________
Past Simple: The Verb Be
The verb "be" is also irregular in the Simple Past. Unlike other irregular verbs, there are two Simple Past forms: "was" and "were." It also has different question forms and negative forms. Always remember that you DO NOT use "did" with the verb "be" in the Simple Past.
Positive
Negative
Question
  • I was.
  • You were.
  • We were.
  • They were.
  • He was.
  • She was.
  • It was.
  • I was not.
  • You were not.
  • We were not.
  • They were not.
  • He was not.
  • She was not.
  • It was not.
  • Was I?
  • Were you?
  • Were we?
  • Were they?
  • Was he?
  • Was she?
  • Was it?
I was angry
I was not angry
Were you angry?





















Word Bank:

Angry, sad, hurt, happy, late, early, at school last week, in my class, in the kitchen, on my football team, in the garden, playing outside, at home, at the store, on the basketball court.

בס"ד  

Name___________________________________
Simple Past Forms
Most Verbs
Most verbs conjugate by adding -ed like the verb "wait" below.
Positive
Negative
Question
  • I waited.
  • You waited.
  • We waited.
  • They waited.
  • He waited.
  • She waited.
  • It waited.
  • I did not wait.
  • You did not wait.
  • We did not wait.
  • They did not wait.
  • He did not wait.
  • She did not wait.
  • It did not wait.
  • Did I wait?
  • Did you wait?
  • Did we wait?
  • Did they wait?
  • Did he wait?
  • Did she wait?
  • Did it wait?
We cooked dinner
We did not cook breakfast
Did you cook lunch?





















Word bank:    jump, add, play, paint, stop, plan, watch TV, cry, mix, bake, open, wash, listen, clap, fix, visit, try, like, bake, cook, travel, show,

No comments:

Common vocabulary words to study for this week's English test!

  Words to learn today!  Many students have English tests coming up this week, so here is a list of common words that might come up on your ...