Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Research the company that you are interviewing for Before the Interview! Job Interview

Back in the old days, if you wanted to research a company, you had to go to the Library!  During my last year at UCLA, it became clear to me that a BA in  Anthropology was not going to get me very far, and I would have had to go all the way to a Ph.D.  Well, I did an about face and started interviewing for work in business.

That year the department stores were doing well  this was in the 1980's and they were hiring for First Level Managers.  I got interviews with Sears and JCPenney.  I found books about both.  When I went to the interviews, I was able to tell about the history of the company.

What I liked about JCPenney was that he was a "go getter."   He started in the "Old West" of the United States.  When he wanted to hire a new store manager, he would take the man out to dinner. If the potential job candidate put salt on his food before tasting, then James Cash Penney wouldn't hire him.  He would end the dinner on a nice note, but continue looking.  Why did he do that?  Well, he felt, that people need to taste the food and then decide if it needs salt.  This is a characteristic in life. First you try a technique, and then if it goes well, you go with it, otherwise you change it.

 I told this story to the interviewer, and I got the job even though I was sick with a cold during the interview.  I had copies of my resume, fresh from university, I was dressed correctly, and so was everyone else.  But I knew the history of the company.   By the way, I was very successful at JCPenney, I got promoted from the Infants department, went on to manage the Boys sportswear department, got responsibility for Sporting goods as well, and I was promoted  a year later to a different store, and had responsibility for all of Women's Sportswear.  I would probably have stayed at JCPenney for a long time if I had stayed in Los Angeles.

Nowadays, you don't have to go searching for a book.  Read this blog post and find out the modern ways to do research!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/susan-p-joyce/job-interview_b_5088156.html

Good luck in doing your job interview research!

Key Terms
dead in the water
make or break
stalking
knock-their-socks-off 
mode
founders
concerns raised
service names
the party line
product names
brand names
dig in
twenty-somethings
reputations
connections


Questions
Are you a member of LinkedIN?  
Have you been contacted by a company who looked at your profile from LinkedIN?
What information can you get from the company's website? 
What information can you get from Yahoo Finance? Google? 
Does the information about stock prices make a big difference for you?
If the company's stock is going down, would you consider working for the company?
Would you go to Facebook to get information? 
What would you do if you found unfavorable information about a company on Facebook?


Lesson Plan by Rachael Alice Orbach - Professional English Teacher

No comments:

Common vocabulary words to study for this week's English test!

  Words to learn today!  Many students have English tests coming up this week, so here is a list of common words that might come up on your ...