Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Old Woman Who Lived In a Shoe - Politically correct version

I use song and rhyme when teaching young children, but I didn't like the old version.  So here is a new and improved version of this beloved poem.  

How to teach.  First I read the poem aloud to the children, then I demonstrate hand movements, For example,  Old woman, crouch over and hold the back, then I point to the shoe,  For many children, I make believe I am hugging lots of kids, Knew what to do I point to my head.  To demonstrate chicken soup, I cup my hands like I'm serving soup, Salad, I eat some imaginary salad, bread, I cut bread, To do the kiss, I kiss my own hand.  I wanted to teach different foods, soup, chicken, salad and bread. 

Then I have the children color in  the drawings, and have them say the poem and hand movements again a few times.  
They love it and they are learning English! 


The Old Woman Who Lived In a Shoe  -
Politically correct version by Rachael Alice Orbach

There was an old woman who lived in a shoe 
She had so many children, she knew what to do 
She gave them chicken soup, salad and bread 
And kissed them all quickly and put them to bed. 


 Boot Shoe Clothing clip art



Cook And Hearth clip art

Lesson Plan by Rachael Alice Orbach, Professional English Teacher 


No comments:

Common vocabulary words to study for this week's English test!

  Words to learn today!  Many students have English tests coming up this week, so here is a list of common words that might come up on your ...