Thursday, March 5, 2015

How to support your musical child

English conversation lesson about music and supporting the musician in the family.

I have been a musican for as long as I can remember.  I started playing the guitar at age 7, but I had really wanted to start when I was five.  But there wasn't a guitar small enough for me.  So, when I finally started playing the guitar nobody told me actually how to practice.  This blog post would have really helped me and my parents back then.  Now, however I play the guitar, clarinet, flute, saxophone, mandolin, recorders and oh yes, I started the piano 2 years ago.
I am taking an active role in my daughter's musical education.  I'm teaching her how to play the clarinet. She is progressing and it is very gratifiying to see another young musician in the family.
 I also teach all these instruments so if you are in Jerusalem and want music lessons. . . contact me.
Otherwise read this blog post, it is a bit long, but very interesting. and discuss it with your English teacher!

http://www.kimcollinsflute.com/blog/for-parents-how-can-i-support-my-budding-musician

Key Terms
budding
a shameless plug
disciplines
cover more bases
feeding his or her need for expression
perseverance
problem-solving
the ability to work in a group,
leadership
cooperation
create an outlet
self-soothing
 listen critically
assess performance 
create plans to solve problems
traits 
applicable
music stand
tucked away 
distraction
overcome any issues 
converse with
line of communication
inspiration
subtle ways
 flit in
nerve-wracking
spontaneous practice
establish a routine
Make charts
Set goals
Reward
frequently
Support effort 
perseverance
a willingness to try new things
actively listen
enthusiasm and interest
win-win situation


Questions

What is the best way to support a musical child?
Do you play a musical instrument? If not, would you like to? 
What  are the benefits to playing a musical instrument?
Which one is most important to you?
Are the reasons that an adult would want to start playing a musical instrument different than a child starting?
What type of musical goals would a child have? 
How does scheduling a performance help motivation to practise? 
What skills does the parent have to foster in the child? 
Would you consider a teacher or learning from videos?
Which instrument is the easist?  Hardest?
How long should a person try out a new musical instrument before giving up? 



Lesson plan by Rachael Alice Orbach - Professional Music teacher and English teacher 






No comments:

Common vocabulary words to study for this week's English test!

  Words to learn today!  Many students have English tests coming up this week, so here is a list of common words that might come up on your ...